Background

Friday, October 14, 2011

Where the Green Grass Grows

The number one requirement we had when we were looking for a house was land. I grew up on an acre and a half (not much, but it was out in the country) and I loved it! Mike grew up in town but he also wanted to get out of the noisy areas that we had been living in. A week before I saw this house we had decided to put the house hunting on the back burner for a while and focus on finishing up our rental unit remodel. One weekend Mike went out of town with his dad for a golf trip. My SIL was dating a guy (that she is now married to!) that had a house on a road I hadn't been on much so I wanted to drive by to see it. On this road was a very small wooden for sale sign in front of this cute farmhouse with a HUGE barn and lots of land! I jotted down the number and called it from a Wendy's parking lot. The owner told me the specifics and price and I immediately texted Mike. I told him that I found our dreamhouse and that it seemed too good to be true. That was a Friday. We went to see it on Sunday and put in an offer on Tuesday that was accepted!! It worked out so beautifully because the owners were WONDERFUL and our timing matched up perfectly. We were able to finish up our rental unit and they were able to have time to move into their other house. We still have a great relationship with them, in fact, the wife (Marci) is a retired elementary teacher and offered to come and read to the kids a few weeks ago! So here we  are a year later, the owners of 3 acres, a barn, a corn crib and a Christmas tree farm! We love this life! Here are some pictures of our land and barn...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This was last year when the whole family came out and cut down their Christmas trees!
 

Photobucket
We (meaning Mike) spends a lot of time cutting firewood that we store in the corn crib to dry. We have a woodburning furnace that worked so well last winter that we didn't use our propane furnace even once!!

Photobucket
I have many, many more pictures to share tomorrow so stay tuned! I'll show you what we have been busy doing (and taking care of) around here!!


1 comment:

Carrie said...

it looks beautiful! i love old farmhouses...i can't wait to see more! it is the perfect dreamhome and looks like you're already making some fun memories! ;-)